Friday, December 30, 2011

A.Word.A.Day drabble – “pluvial”

A.Word.A.Day drabble – 6/17/10: “pluvial”

A Word A Day by Anu Garg
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

pluvial

PRONUNCIATION: (PLOO-vee-uhl)
MEANING:
adjective: Of or relating to rain, especially much rain.
ETYMOLOGY:
From Latin pluvia (rain), from pluere (to rain). Ultimately from the Indo-European root pleu- (to flow), that is also the source of flow, float, flit, fly, flutter, pulmonary, and pneumonia.

----------------------

I had to cheat a bit and use google for this one. Sort of a follow up to "virga".
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


“Well, you got your rain.”

“It’s definitely not as romantic as the song.”

“Especially when you can’t get home due to the pluvial flooding.”

“What the heck does that mean?”

“It means that when it rains, this road is underwater.”

“You could have just said that.”

“I was trying to impress you with my big vocabulary.”

“And I just wanted to get you home so I could impress you with my big...vocabulary. But the pluvial flooding has put a pluvial wrench into the works.”

“Um...you could come to my place.”

“Really? Are you sure?”

“Yeah. Consider it an olive branch.”

No comments:

Post a Comment