Thursday, December 22, 2011

A.Word.A.Day drabble – orrery

I was away for awhile, but I'm back, and I'll try to do better with the blogggg....

A.Word.A.Day drabble – 6/1/10: orrery

A Word A Day by Anu Garg
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
orrery
PRONUNCIATION: (OR-uh-ree)
MEANING:
noun: A mechanical model of the solar system that represents the relative motions of the planets around the sun.
ETYMOLOGY:
After Charles Boyle, 4th Earl of Orrery (1676-1731), who was given one of those models by John Rowley, a London instrument-maker. They were invented by George Graham c. 1700. The device would have been better named either after its inventor, Graham, or its maker, Rowley.
------------
Another weird one, but I think I FINALLY got it. Spending way too much time on these, but I still want to catch up eventually.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Jimmy knew that Shawn couldn’t help his sunny disposition or his infectious grin, couldn’t help the way people were drawn to him. Most of the time, Jimmy was content to stay in the shadows with a drink and a pasted-on smile as all the women in the bar – single or not – began orbiting Shawn, turning the dance floor into an orrery, with Shawn the bright star at the center of it all.

That was before Shawn pulled Jimmy outside and kissed him up against the wall. "Quit ignoring me.”

“I’m not. I just don’t want to get burned.”

“You won’t.”

No comments:

Post a Comment