Tuesday, October 18, 2011

worse than I thought - so behind on AWAD

It's worse than I thought. I thought I needed to catch up on A Word A Day from May of this year, but noooooo, I left off reading them from May of 2010!! What the hell is wrong with me?!?!

So now if I write TWO drabbles a day, I'll be caught up maybe six months? Must learn to buckle down. It's never too late, right?

In other procrastination news, I still want to send a thank you note to Laura Bradford, to whom I pitched at Moonlight & Magnolias, which was Sept. 30 - Oct. 2. I'm just not sure how to address her ("Ms. Bradford"? "Laura"?) or exactly what to say. It was a really informative meeting, and she was very nice about having to completely shoot me down, even saying to go ahead and send her a synopsis and the first 100 pages despite not being able to sell M/M to any of the publishers she works with. So I did want to let her know those would be coming.

On a more forward-looking note, I recently read again the idea of writing 100 words a day, but in this scenario, you try to write 100 words a day **for 100 days**. That made me think of a friend of mine who will not write on Sundays because she's fairly religious.

I get taking a Day of Rest. I don't like to work on Saturdays; it's about the only religious thing I do. BUT! I realized recently that having Shabbat (and Jewish holidays) go from sunset to sunset is pretty smart -- someone who is very strict about these things could still write every day AND not work on Shabbat if they wrote before sunset on Friday and then again after sunset on Saturday. (As you may have guessed, I'm not that strict. And I don't consider writing to be "work". Maybe if I got paid (more) for it. :) )

So who's with me, at least 100 words every day for 100 days?

2 comments:

  1. I'M SO IN
    Between university and job I haven't actually written much lately. I always get the feeling that if I sit down to write, I have to put down at least 1000 words, and if I know I don't have the time or energy I don't even get started.
    But writing just 100 words a day is so much better than nothing :)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. Like deciding you need a huge block of time to even BEGIN to work on something.

    The past few days I've done at least 100 words. Actually, it's been more like 250-350, probably hitting that easily because it's dialog. (Seriously, my characters don't do anything but sit around and talk. Pathetic.) But I've done about four days in a row, so I want to keep going.

    Shall I nag you via email or your blog to see if you've hit your goal for the day? :) 100 words a day IS much better than nothing, and it's an attainable goal, at least until we can find a huge block of time to get those 1000 words down.

    ReplyDelete