Sunday, April 8, 2018

My Bullet Journal presentation from the 2017 Moonlight & Magnolias -- part 7

Hi, all, apologies for taking so long to get to this last post in the series. Damon Suede was talking about writing every day when he said this, but it's true for almost anything:
"Momentum is hard won and easily lost....Writing crap is better than no writing at all."
I lost the momentum of these blog posts AND my BuJo due to real-life obligations, and now I want to get back into both, but it's really harrrrrd!!

I need to finish these posts so they'll be done and I can call it complete (you have no idea how hard finishing things is for me -- why is it so much more fun to start things than to finish them?).

The original "'neighbors" chart in my old journal needs updating, and now that our foster cat has had her kittens, I need to plan my grand extravaganza Kitten Tea Party, which, due to the state of our house, requires more planning than just which kind of sandwiches to serve. I'll work it all out in my BuJo, which means I need to work on it more, which reminds me that I need to finish these posts. :D

But enough about me, on to the nearly last part of these posts! (This post was getting too long, so I decided to split it, and then remembered I still need to post the very last part of my presentation, which will be the really last part of the presentation and these posts.)



Some tips that might be helpful:
  • Use a dark pen for the actual writing. It helps if you're "of a certain age" like I am, or if you want to back up your journal by taking a photo of the pages or scanning them. 
  • Write legibly. Slow down. Write with intention. Reflect. 
  • Put your contact info in the front of the journal, and maybe a note about why it's important to you. But not that it's too important to you. Something that will encourage the finder to return it to you but not hold it for ransom.
  • Number 10-12 pages at a time. When I'm at the start of a journal, it's hard for me to write the numbers because the stack of pages are higher than the table, so here's my tip for that -- push the corner of the page up so you can rest your hand on the next page. (Yes, this is not at the beginning of the journal, but you get the idea, right?)

I just realized how weirdly I hold my pen.
  • Do a year's worth of Future Log at front of the journal (so it's easy to flip to), starting with the next month. If you get to the end of the months and you're still on the same journal, put the next months at the back of the journal (so it's easy to flip to).
  • Goals -- list these on pages you'll revisit. Add a daily, weekly, or other regularly scheduled task to go look at those pages, otherwise you might forget like I do. Break down your goals into small, realistic pieces, and schedule them realistically. 
  • Use colored pens/pencils for Habit Trackers or anything else you track. Color in boxes/spaces/designs as you reach goals or hit milestones -- it's a fun incentive to get something done, besides the feeling of accomplishment just from getting something done.

Overall tips/things to keep in mind: 
  • If it isn't working, change it. Remember, the Bullet Journal is a highly CUSTOMIZABLE organization system, so customize it until it works for YOU.
  • Anything you need to brain dump -- make a page for it and index it.
  • Look at your BuJo before going to bed and before leaving the house in the morning -- you might have written down things you need to take with you.
  • It takes a little time to do each day, but remember -- intention. Thinking about what you're doing, what you've done, what you're going to do.
  • Get inspiration from other people's journals from time to time (but don't compare your journal to other people's). Sometimes you'll run across a genius idea that will solve a problem for you or help you understand something or just inspire you to do better with your own journaling or habits you want to cultivate.

And please keep in mind this quote I read somewhere, maybe at the official Bullet Journal site:
"The only wrong way to use a bullet journal is to not use it."

These are the references I included in my presentation:

Start with the official site: bulletjournal.com

Google “Bullet Journal” plus these search terms for good articles/explanations:

  • wtf buzzfeed
  • popsci
  • Hacks
  • frowl.org worst blog
  • life hacker
  • Busy Families

Sites for inspiration:

  • Boho Berry
  • Page Flutter [good for writers]
  • Tiny Ray of Sunshine
  • Bullet Journal Addict
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram

In my next post, I'll show you how to make a back pocket for your journal if it doesn't have one already, and the last post will explain the only REAL excuse for not using your Bullet Journal.

In the comments, please let me know if you run across any other good sites. Happy Journaling and Happy Writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment