Monday, July 4, 2011

interesting POV thing

I'm working on a short story for the next Dreamspinner Press anthology, Higher Learning. I don't think I'm going to get this one done in time, it's just not coming.

BUT a weird thing happened while writing -- I started a paragraph, writing in 3rd Person omniscient, I think it's called, and the words were usual, ordinary. Then I remembered that the story is told in first person, and as soon as I switched, it was like a blast of color onto the page. My narrator is SO much more interesting than my 3rd person POV. His expressions and way of speaking is so much more fun.

So now I'm wondering, how can I get that "voice", that liveliness to come through in all my other writing that IS in 3rd person POV? Obviously this character can't narrate every one of my stories, but there must be a way to get that interesting sound onto the page. Unless the problem is that other stories CAN'T be told in a fun way, if the subject matter is not fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment